Photographers photograph people, landscapes, merchandise, or other subjects, using digital or film cameras and equipment. They may develop negatives or use computer software to produce finished images and prints.
- Take pictures of individuals, families, and small groups, either in studio or on location.
- Adjust apertures, shutter speeds, and camera focus based on a combination of factors such as lighting, field depth, subject motion, film type, and film speed.
- Use traditional or digital cameras, along with a variety of equipment such as tripods, filters, and flash attachments.
- Create artificial light, using flashes and reflectors.
- Determine desired images and picture composition, selecting and adjusting subjects, equipment, and lighting to achieve desired effects.
- Scan photographs into computers for editing, storage, and electronic transmission.
- Test equipment prior to use to ensure that it is in good working order.
- Review sets of photographs to select the best work.
- Estimate or measure light levels, distances, and numbers of exposures needed, using measuring devices and formulas.
- Manipulate and enhance scanned or digital images to create desired effects, using computers and specialized software.
- Photographers Assistant: Assists with studio and location shots. Anticipates what shooter needs. Must have in depth knowledge of light metering.
- Photoshop Technician/ Technical Assistant/ Digital Image Editor: Archiving Images, knowledge of manipulating images for color adjustment, matching, resizing, retouching, masking, and creating paths. A sharp eye for detail, quality, quantity, color, and size.
- Photo Coordinator/ Media Coordinator/ Media Tech: Typically this position works with larger companies. Assist in producing product catalogs. The primary responsibility of this position will be to edit and manually touch up photos for catalog and web deliveries. Must have thorough knowledge of Photoshop. Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task are a must.
- Photographer: Frames subject matter and background in lens to capture desired image, focuses camera and adjusts settings based on lighting, subject matter and distance, selects and assembles equipment and required background properties, according to subject, materials, and conditions, directs activities of assistants in setting up photographic equipment, arranges subject material in desired position. Estimates or measures light level, distance, and number of exposures needs, using measuring devices and formulas.
- Traffic Coordinator: Maintains, coordinates and expedites ad proofs, merchandise for photo shoots and sign-offs for all ads within the Advertising area. Coordinates and manifests merchandise for photo shoots. Expedite ad proofs to merchants for review, revisions and approvals. Oversees and maintains scheduled deadlines.
- Lead/Senior Technician: Manages the photo tech employees, expertise in Adobe Photoshop, responsible for perfection of final image. On site technical expert for all photography work flow. On set Quality Assurance and color analysis expert. Defines and oversees the photography asset creation process. Ensures that the assets are captured and stored in the correct manner to assure efficient workflow. Serves as the technical and color expert relating to the capture process and tool functionality.
- Art Director/Creative Director: The proven skills to concept, construct (or build) and then create (or produce) a photograph or photo-illustration of one-of-a-kind imagery. A great eye for the type of composition and design that crafts an amazing picture. The hands-on ability to take any idea (yours or others) from concept to pre-production to final photo image while managing multiple deadlines and shooting schedules. The passion and desire to dig deeper; researching and settles for only the best resources and talent.
- Studio Owner/Studio Manager: Manages the day-to-day operations of a photography studio, managing and maintaining schedules and photography shoots. Handles all aspects of client relations, from first phone call to image delivery and final invoicing, facilitating sales meetings with clients. Coordinates photography schedule with photographers, clients and hair/makeup artists, maintaining and managing schedules of photographers, developing and maintaining excellent communication between the studio and clients, maintaining communication with labs, manage promotional advertising, order photo equipment, responsible for all deadlines.
- Chief Photographer: Entails managing several photographers (contract and staff), shooting and editing photos and video. Helps plan projects for the upcoming newspaper exclusives. Oversees all photo coverage for daily newspapers, photo editors and helps shoot for several specialty publications and for online use.