We live in a world where you can find everything online—directions, old friends, the latest trends, you name it. So why not use it to find a job?
Social media platforms are perfect for it. Networking with industry professionals, showcasing your skills, and giving a taste of your personality, all in one place. Here are a few tips to make the most of your online experience when you’re on the job hunt.
- Go beyond just looking on generic job postings sites. Yes, they are a good starting point, but there is so much more out there. Get exploring!
- Be active. The more you engage online, the better you’ll get and the easier it will become. One of the keys to mastering social media is consistency. Building up your online presence takes time, but it’s well worth it.
- Participate in Twitter chats. Twitter is one of the quickest and easiest ways to directly get in touch with some of the biggest names in whatever industry you’re hoping to get into. You’re able to start up conversations with people all over the globe and you never know where you could end up with a simple tweet. On top of all that, be sure to follow hashtags that relate to your field and keep your eye out for opportunities.
- Join groups on LinkedIn to connect with people in different industries and have an idea of some of the companies you want to work for. Everyone is getting on LinkedIn (if you haven’t, do it now). Put some time into making your profile the best it can be. First impressions are everything and you want to grab a potential employer’s attention. Recruiters are always using sites like LinkedIn to find what they’re looking for.
- Clean up your Facebook profiles. It’s pretty self-explanatory, but you’d be surprised at what can be found sometimes. You’ll be glad you did it.
Social media is all about communication, so use it wisely and take advantage of all the tools you have access to. You never know who might stumble upon your profile and think you’re the perfect fit for a job. It’s worth a shot!